Be on the safe side, request a SafeRide
SafeRide provides a safe and reliable mode of transportation on campus to ensure safety during night hours. This free service is available to the university community but is especially meant to serve students on campus at night who need a ride to a parking lot, to their housing area or to another building on campus.
Students, faculty and staff can request a SafeRide to and from any location on campus, except Research Park. Those in Research Park can request a ride by calling (801) 231-9058.
SafeRide operates Monday – Friday from 6 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
For more info on SafeRide, call 801-581-6415 during regular business hours or 801-231-9058 after 6 p.m.
The SafeRide program is intended to be used by members of the university community who do not feel safe walking to a destination on campus at night. This is not a replacement for public transportation or other rideshare programs.
How to Request a Ride
2. Once downloaded, open the app and select University of Utah.
3. SafeRide is only available to current university students, faculty, and staff, so you must enter your UNID and password to request a ride.
- Allow TapRide to access your location, to ensure you are picked up at the right place.
- Allow TapRide to send you notifications to be notified when your ride is arriving.
4. To request a ride, during our operating hours of 6:30 p.m. – 12:30 a.m., hit the Request Ride button.
5. Enter your desired pick up and drop location.
6. Hit the Confirm Ride button and your request will be processed with an estimated time of arrival.
7. When the driver is en route, you’ll be able to track the vehicle’s location in real-time.
8. You will receive a notification when the vehicle arrives to your pick-up location.
- If you are unsure which vehicle is the university SafeRide van, hit the honk button on the app. An alert will be sent to the driver, requesting them to honk.
9. Once entering the vehicle, the SafeRide driver will ask for your name and confirm your drop-off location on campus. Our SafeRide drivers are students, just like you, to ensure peer-to-peer comfort.
University students, faculty and staff may request a SafeRide.
No, this service is FREE to students, faculty and staff.
SafeRide operates Monday through Friday from 6 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
No, SafeRide does not operate during academic breaks.
Yes, you may be picked up or dropped off on any location on campus, excluding Research Park. If you are in the Research Park area, you may request a ride through the Hospital On-Demand shuttle by calling (801) 231-9058.
Yes, be sure to specify if you need a vehicle with ADA accommodations when requesting your ride.
No, SafeRide is an on-demand service.
All vehicles are branded with the university SafeRide logo. Please turn on notifications and track the vehicle on the app. When the driver is approaching your location, the driver will send you a notification through the TapRide app.
SafeRide is not an emergency service. Please call 911 if you are in immediate danger. If you are not in immediate danger but need a law enforcement officer call 801-585-COPS.
No, SafeRide only operates within the university boundaries, excluding Research Park.